What's In YOUR Skincare Products? Skincare Dos and Don'ts!
As a Gen Z gal on TikTok, I have had the fortuante opportunity to be welcomed into the skincare community led by Skincare by Hyram (the HOLY GRAIL!). He reacts to people's skincare routines and explains why some of the products are actually damaging your skin more than they're helping you as well as informs viewers how to use the products!
After listening to his videos, I am putting together this small list of his tips and some resources you can go to to figure out whether your skincare has helpful or harmful ingredients!
Tips and Tricks:
- AVOID FRAGRANCES in your skincare products
- DON'T let any of the product droppers directly touch your skin; instead drop some of the product into your hand and apply to face.
- After applying your toners and serums on your face, PAT your face to help your skin absorb morer of the product!
- Peel off face masks and nose strips are HORRIBLE for your face. They damage the outer layer of skin and actually do nothing in the long run.
- Instead of using face wipes, which are harsh on your skin, to remove your makeup...try an oil cleanser or balm! It's much more gentle on the face and uses the "oil attracts oil" to help break down the makeup and other oils on your face
- There is also a new trend going around: cleansing your face with an oil cleanser for 10-15 minutes. This will actually cause some blackheads and sebacious filaments to come out of your skin!
- USE SPF!
- Paula's Choice Ingredient Dictionary: besides having ~crazy good~ products for your skin, the website also lists common skincare ingredients, defines what they are, and tells you their rating (i.e. whether it's good, bad, or excellent for your skin!)
- SkinCarisma: this website not only allows you to look up specific products to see ingredient ratings, but you can also use it to search for a certain type of skincare product while choosing your personal preferences like silicone-free, alcohol-free, and more!
- CosDNA: similar to SkinCarisma, this website allows users to search specific products and analyzes the ingredients in each one. It also has a user forum where people can ask for tips or clarification on ingredients.